Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cake!

I took cake decorating classes through Wilton last year, and I really enjoyed them. I have cake-makers on both sides of the family. My Aunt Ula made our wedding cake and my Aunt Jo made our groom's cake, not to mention the beautiful cake for my baby shower. So I figured it would be something fun to learn as a hobby.
Let me tell you that cake making can be very stressful -- especially when you are making a cake for someone else!! I have had more than one catastrophe so far (usually involving layer cakes). So I refuse to do it as anything more than a courtesy to friends and family. I usually make my nephews' birthday cakes and cakes for family gatherings.



So when my husband asked me to make him and his brother Spiderman and Superman cakes for their birthday celebration with his family, I agreed. I had done a Spiderman cake before, but this was my first attempt at Superman. They both turned out pretty well! Duane was pleased, and that made everything worth it!


Also, I recently found out that the woman who runs the store where I buy all my cake supplies also teaches cake decorating lessons! I was really excited, because I felt like I should brush up on my basics. It only cost $25 for 5 lessons, and I pretty much have all the supplies already. I have had 2 classes already and they have both gone very well. I made a cake for a woman at my work for her birthday, and it turned out to be pretty tasty! I am still having a few technical issues, but hopefully those will be worked out with practice! And the people at work love when I practice, because they get to be the guinea pigs!

2 comments:

Allison said...

As a fellow amateur cake decorator myself...i have to say that your cakes look FANTASTIC! I can't believe that you are able to get all that done...it's really a lot of work! Great job

Unknown said...

I'm completely jealous of your decorating abilities. At least you'll be able to make the cake for our kids' wedding, though :)