Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

So, it's St. Patrick's Day. But I am not wearing green. Threaten to pinch me, if you want. I'm not Irish. I don't take the day off to go drinking. I didn't really drink on St. Patrick's in college. Really, I would say St. Patrick's Day lost its novelty for me when I graduated from high school and stopped getting the day off to celebrate.
Don't get me wrong -- I enjoyed the day as a child. I liked having the parties at school. I wore my green. It was fun. My mom bought us Shamrock donuts from Jolly Pirate, which are THE best because they are FULLLLLL of rich cream. So, to carry on the spirit, I dressed Rachel in green this morning, despite the fact that she, also, is not Irish.
I won't ruin the holiday for her, just because I don't get into it. But I just can't do it. I haven't been able to get into it for years now. So if you see me today and I am not wearing green, pinch me if you feel the need. But I probably won't wear green next year either...or the year after.
I guess we'll see what happens when Rachel starts to notice her mom's defiance. Maybe then, for her, I will dig up something green to wear to make the day fun for her. And of course, I will always make sure she has her very own Jolly Pirate Shamrock donut. :)

No comments: