Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Perspective

So, I was having a really bad day yesterday. Things weren't going well at work, I have a busy week ahead, and I was just frustrated with how my life was going.

Then I heard that Layla Grace had passed away.

Nothing like a terribly sad story to put things in perspective.

I have been following the story of Layla Grace for a while now. She was about 7 months older than Rachel, and she was diagnosed with neuroblastoma when she was 16 months old. Before she was diagnosed, she was a beautiful and bubbly little girl with 2 older sisters and loving parents. Over the past several months, she went through a littany of procedures and diagnoses. He battle was well-documented because her parents shared her struggles with the world through their blog and Twitter. Soon, it became clear that Layla would not survive her battle, and her parents took her home to spend her last few weeks. According to the updates, she slowly faded away, finally going to "dance with the angels" yesterday morning.

I don't know why Layla's story affected me so dramatically. Even as I type this, I am tearing up. Maybe it's because Rachel is almost the same age. Maybe it is because I can't imagine ever having to watch my child suffer and pass away as I hold her in my arms.

But as I went home yesterday and held my daughter tight, one thing did become clear to me: all the things that made my day horrible meant nothing next to the fact that I have a beautiful and healthy little girl who means the world to me.

A friend of mine told me yesterday that I shouldn't worry so much about work, because my job is not what defines me. After hearing about Layla's death, that advice took a new meaning to me. I am not defined by this job -- I am defined by what kind of mother I am to my little girl. I am convinced that God put me on this earth to be her mommy and to teach her to be a good person. And I really believe that Layla Grace was put on this earth to be a message to the thousands of people who have followed her story: Live each day being thankful for those you love. Cherish the gifts you have been given. Life is precious.

Rest in peace Layla Grace. I didn't know you, but you have had such a huge impact on so many people. I hope you and your family can now be at peace.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I was following Layla, too. I can't wrap my mind around getting to the point where you're ready to let go of your baby because she is in so much pain.

Nutz said...

Seriously. I couldn't read the blog anymore, because they talked about how she would make little noises and all they could do was hold her, and she had stopped eating even ice chips. It's too much to even think about.

Nutz said...

Seriously. I couldn't read the blog anymore, because they talked about how she would make little noises and all they could do was hold her, and she had stopped eating even ice chips. It's too much to even think about.