Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cake lady

Not a lot to report here. Work is about the same. Rachel is still crazy. She picks up a new word every day, it seems. Duane heads to his first motorcycle race of the season this Thursday, so we are excited for him, and I am excited for some Mommy-Daughter time too. I think I will take Rachel shopping for some more spring clothes. She is in between 18 months and 24 months right now though. She is tall, but her waist is still too tiny for 24 months! Though I prefer cooler weather, it has been nice to have some warmer days, because I think she likes to go outside and play. I need to make a habit of getting outside with her more than I do.

I made a bunch of cake last week for various occasions. The first was a practice smash cake for my friend's son Eli's first birthday party. She wanted a cake with small pendants on it, but she wanted them to be flat, not fluffy, so I wanted to show her how it would look with buttercream icing, rather than fondant (which isn't great for a smash cake). Then I made the smash cake itself and decorated a bigger cake that she purchased from a store to match. He looked like he really enjoyed the cake from the photos of the party. He dug right into it!

Then on Sunday, we celebrated with Kim's son Aiden for his 2nd birthday. Wow. TWO YEARS! I can't believe how time just flies. Aiden is quite the conversator too. Very articulate.

For Aiden's cake, I used the same shamrock pan I used for his 1st birthday party last year. Kim just wanted a slightly different twist on the theme this year, so I made a leprechaun with special icing that hardens into a candy and placed it on top of a more colorful shamrock.



I think it turned out well, though I wish I had been able to do a slightly better job on the smash cake for Eli. I just couldn't quite get the flags to be flat enough. :(

The next cake is in a week or so for Noah's 6th birthday party. My little dude is SIX! Wow. He wants a Darth Vadar cake. That is A LOT of black icing. We shall see how is goes. :) We also have another big event next Friday. We get to meet my brother's girlfriend. Yes, my brother the bachelor has a girlfriend. Hopefully his crazy family doesn't scare her away.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You make the bestest cakes. Period. Thanks so much! :)