Tuesday, June 23, 2009

One Year...

My dear Rachel,







What a strange and exciting year this has been. This time a year ago, I sat in my hospital room, learning how to feed you, with the protection and help of the nurses and hospital staff. The coming weeks brought more challenges and adventures -- I had to go home and learn how to care for you without the help of all those hospital workers. I didn't have much experience with babies, and you were proving that you definitely have a mind of your own. You wouldn't sleep on your back (we found out later you had pretty bad acid reflux), you liked to stay awake all night and sleep all day, and you had to be put to bed just right or you would wake up crying after 5 minutes.

But Daddy and I learned that we could put you in your swing to sleep, right next to the bed. And when you would stay awake all night, Mommy would be up with you, laying next to you on the floor and watching old movies and TV shows. And, after a while, I learned how to put you to bed the way you liked.



Those first 3-4 months were the hardest of my life -- but they also allowed me to get to know you even better. I learned that your needs will always come first with me and that I care more about making you happy than anything else in this world. When you learned to smile at me, it was one of the best moments in my life.

And what a smile you have! Charming and ornery, you flash that little grin and no one could ever ignore you or be mad at you.








I still marvel at you -- how could your Dad and I have created such a wonderful and amazing little person? You bring so much joy to both of us. And as you have grown older over this year, you have become the most pleasant little person to be around. You love to have fun, you are affectionate and sweet, and you speak your mind constantly.


I can't wait to see what this next year brings. You are weeks away from walking, and you learn how to communicate a little more each day. You are this amazing little person now, and I cherish every day we spend together. These last few days especially have been wonderful.



As we went to the Zoo today, on your 1st birthday, I realized it was quite appropriate -- I went to the Zoo a couple of weeks before you were conceived, and then once you were safely tucked away in the womb, and then finally again on the day before you were due to join us in this world. So it seemed right that we celebrated your first year by going to the Zoo again. Hopefully we will be able to make it back there often, perhaps every year for your birthday.


Thank you for being my dear sweet daughter. You are the truest blessing in my life. I love you.



Mommy

No comments: