Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Birthday Party/Father's Day


Busy busy weekend!! I took Friday through this Tuesday off, and on Friday I went with Rachel and my mom to get Rachel's one-year photos taken. She was less than enthused about the whole ordeal, and I was really worried we weren't going to get any good shots. It could have been the torrential downpour outside or just that she doesn't like professional pictures, but she wasn't staying put or smiling much, which is VERY unlike her.
So I was more than a little pleased when I saw the pictures. They are GORGEOUS! I was able to control my urge to buy all of them, but I came away with a nice set. The pictures capured her ornery nature and her girliness too. And, although I spouted off about how my daughter would not wear pink often, I have to admit she looks really good in it, and she wore pink outfits in all of her pictures. She even sported a bow (!) in a couple of them.

Saturday was Rachel's first birthday party. In future years, we will combine her birthday party with her cousin Owen's party because Owen's birthday is just 3 days after Rachel's, but I wanted her to have her own party for her very first birthday. The weather forecast called for thunderstorms all week, which was not a good sign, because the party was supposed to be at Blacklick Woods park. But it cleared out in the early morning Saturday, and we were blessed with a beautiful day. It was a bit hectic getting started. We had a lot of different people contributing different pieces and parts to the party, so gathering them together at the last minute stressed me out, but the end result was amazing. All of Rachel's family and most of her friends were there. When she went to have some of her Blue's Clues smash cake, I expected her to dig right in because she really likes cake, but she was dainty and lady-like. She got about two good hunks of it, but the rest was just a lick here and there. I felt like it was MY birthday, actually, because Rachel got a whole new summer wardrobe, which not only saves me from having to buy clothes for her, but it allows me to skip a few loads of laundry! I think that because Rachel is the only girl among MANY boys, people must get the itch to buy those girly clothes! I have NOOOOO problem with that!! She also got lots of fun new toys, so I went through her toybox and got rid of some of the stuff she doesn't play with much anymore. No sooner did I get it piled to the side than she crawls in and starts playing with all of it, as if to say "NO MOM! This is my favorite toy!"
There were a lot of little boys at the party, so Rachel is probably going to be a tomboy as she grows up, but I will be delighted that she will have so many "older brothers" there to look after her as she gets older.

Sunday we celebrated Duane's first official Father's Day with Rachel. I made him a DVD of photographs of Rachel's first year and a book of photos as well. We spent all morning together and then traveled to the grandparents. It was another lovely day, and this whole week is supposed to follow suit, which is good because I am taking Rachel to the Zoo on Tuesday for her first birthday!! I love being able to take some days to spend with her. I used to worry that it would be rough because she was kind of a difficult baby, but now I can just relax and play with her a bit and spend a lovely day with my daughter. This year has been a whirlwind, but as we approach the last day of Rachel's first year with us, I can honestly say I am a better person for everything that has happened. I have a beautiful and personable daughter, and my family is a blessing to me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Miss Rachel! You got a lot of great photos :)