Saturday, May 5, 2012

My New Year's Resolution

Donate Your Profile PictureYou may recall that one of my New Year's Resolutions was to run a 5K. I have been training to run since January, and my initial thought was that I would participate in the Commit to Be Fit 5K on Saturday May 5th.

But after a lot of thought, I changed my focus to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on Saturday, May 19th.

Both are for great causes, but something about the Race for the Cure seemed to appeal to me more. So I joined Team Whitmore, which is the team my friend Carie joined and graciously invited me to join as well.

I have put so much time and energy into my training for this 5K. I can't imagine how much more time and effort it would take to run a half-marathon. I started this resolution because I was in awe of people who did that -- and I am finishing this resolution even more in awe.

There have been so many times where I wanted to stop running. I wanted to walk the rest of my 3.1 miles. I wanted to give up. And one of the things that has constantly kept me pushing forward has been the thought of the ultimate goal of running this 5K. And since I signed up for the Komen Race for the Cure, it has been the thought of people who are battling breast cancer. They don't have the option to give up, to stop fighting, to "walk" the rest of their journey. They have to give everything they have got to get through their illness.

That may sound corny or overly dramatic to you, but I guess I really don't care if that is what you think. That is what has pushed me forward toward my ultimate goal, and it is an important goal to me. I will run in my first official 5K on Saturday, May 19th. I don't know how fast I will run it -- but I will run it. After that, I am hoping to start training for a possible 10K. And, if I can, I really want to train for a half-marathon in October. I have a long way to go to train for that, but it is in my mind now as a possibility.

Until then, I promise to try to update more with fun kid pictures and updates. Gavin is getting so big. He is chasing Rachel around the house. Rachel is precocious, and I am already seeing some attitude in her personality. They both have birthdays coming up!!




























No comments: