Sunday, February 21, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes!

I was looking at some old pictures of Rachel, and I came across this one from last Valentine's Day. I couldn't believe it! I hadn't noticed how much my little one has grown in the last year and how much hair she has compared to where she was a year ago.

The latest development in the Wood household is Rachel's interest in the potty. I don't think she is quite at the "potty training" stage yet, but she enjoys the concept. I bought her a second potty to keep downstairs, and she has taken a lot of enjoyment in pulling her pants down and sitting on it, then pulling her pants back up again. I also bought her some pull-ups to wear while she is home, so if by chance she does get the urge to try using the potty, she can.


It made me realize how beneficial socialization can be for little ones' development. Because I think most of Rachel's interest in using the potty stems from both watching her parents and watching the slightly older toddlers at the sitter's house. There are two 3-year-olds at the sitter's who are potty training, and the sitter has mentioned that Rachel is a little bit fascinated by watching them. It isn't the first time that I have seen Rachel take an interest in something because a child at the sitter's house has been doing it. And I wonder if she would be so far along in her development without that impact. I suppose we will never know, and there are plenty of kids who stay home with their mom or dad who probably are way ahead in developmental stages, but I am still in awe of everything that Rachel learns from watching other kids.

So it looks like we will start official potty training this summer (ideally when Rachel is wearing shorts more often, so it is easier for her to go on her own). If we can have her potty trained by December, I will be happy. I don't know what we will do with the money saved from buying diapers! But we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Try the towel potty training method.