Saturday, June 28, 2008

5 Days Old!

What a 5 days it has been!! We brought Rachel home on Wednesday, and we have been trying to figure out this whole parenting thing ever since! I won't lie to you -- it isn't easy. I think I have gotten a combined 20 hours of sleep in the last 5 days, and two of those were at the hospital when I was able to send Rachel to the nursery! Rachel doesn't like to sleep at night. During the day, she generally sleeps well, but at night, she just wants to play and nurse.
She nurses every 2-3 hours, and each nursing session lasts about an hour, so I have about an hour for myself in between. That's when I have to decide whether to sleep, eat, shower, or do something else that requires my attention. It is a battle to get her to sleep after nursing, because she doesn't like being put down anywhere. On top of all of that, my stitches and backside are still really painful, and my milk has come in -- so I am either leaking or in pain at certain points throughout the day.
All of that being said, I wouldn't trade this feeling for anything. Look at that face! When I am nursing Rachel, she will look up at me with those beautiful eyes, and it is like I am her whole world! When I watch Duane with her, it warms my heart, because he is so gentle and loving. I can tell he is absolutely in love with her.
Yesterday was Rachel's first pediatrician appointment. She did not enjoy being put in the carseat (see aforementioned blurb about how she does not like to be put down) , and she has been having digestive issues from my milk coming in. But she checked out well, although she has lost another half-ounce since being discharged from the hospital, so I have to take her back next week for a follow-up to make sure she is starting to gain weight back. But she wailed so hard that it broke my heart to hear her. She really did not enjoy the visit whatsoever, and she didn't even have to get shots this time! The doctor said to be patient about her nighttime issues, and he seemed to think I was doing a good job, which is nice to hear, because I am new at this!

Murdock has adjusted okay to having a baby sister. He gets very curious when she makes noises, and sometimes he tries to get too close to her face. But we are still trying to give him lots of attention and teach him to associate her with positive things. Here is his reaction to her so far...

2 comments:

Allison said...

She is absolutely adorable!! I'm glad things seems to be going well. Please give us a shout if there's anything you need! We'd be happy to help.

Unknown said...

So, so, so cute! LOVE the picture of Murdoch :)