Friday, August 12, 2011

Two Weeks and Going Strong!

Do you hear that? That's the sound of a 3-year-old and a 2-week-old napping at the same time! How often does that happen?
Gavin and I have been home for about 2 weeks now, and we have a quasi-routine established. This week, we added Big Sister Rachel to the mix. I plan on keeping Rachel home 3 weekdays and only sending her to the babysitter on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the duration of my maternity leave (with the occasional third day, when needed). Some people think I am crazy for this, but I really want to spend some time with Rachel AND Gavin.
So far, Rachel has been great with her little brother. She calls him "My Gavin," and she loves to kiss his head and watch me change his diapers. Yesterday, he started to cry as I was brushing my teeth, and she rushed over to him and told him it would be okay. She has accepted him quickly as part of her permanent lifestyle, and I couldn't be more thrilled!
And I have to say, Gavin is an exceptional baby! I don't know if it is because I know more about being a mommy to a newborn this time or if it is just a difference in temperament, but he is so much easier to care for than I remember Rachel being. It also has helped that my recovery has been so much easier this time around. With Rachel, I didn't feel human again until 3-4 weeks post partum. This recovery took roughly a week--though I can't say I am 100% back to normal, I have been able to get out of the house several times on my own, with very little trouble.
Gavin only cries when he is hungry. I can set him down for a while in his swing and he is content to explore the room with his eyes. He sleeps most of the day, and he naps at night, so we need to get him on the right schedule, but I can't complain about that. He isn't colicky, and as long as he gets his food, he is a happy little guy. He weighed 8lbs 1 oz at his 1-week check-up, and everything is healthy and normal, which is a relief after the NICU scare! He is nursing a lot more efficiently, but we still supplement with some formula, though I can tell he prefers breastmilk.
He is also fascinated with his sister, so I am excited to watch them grow up together.
The only hiccup in the arrangement has been that Rachel wants a LOT of attention, and I just don't have a lot of extra time to devote to her right now. I was working on some freelance when I went into labor, and I have been struggling to finish it up (it is now overdue) so that I can worry about nothing except my kids. And it is possible that Rachel ALWAYS demanded a lot of attention, and I just never noticed because I didn't have anywhere else to devote it. But now that I have a baby demanding prompt feedings when his belly rumbles, it is hard for me to watch Rachel spinning in circles, hopping around, or showing me what she is doing every minute of the day. And it doesn't help that Daddy is traveling on business more than he used to, so she doesn't have him around to roughhouse with her every night. Duane and I have both had some issues in the patience department. I am working very hard to overcome that demon, because she has been such a great little girl through everything, and I don't want to stimey her imagination and love.

It will be wonderful here in a couple weeks because Duane is taking a week of vacation time, and we can take some trips as a family to get Rachel out and about. I think we will visit the Zoo, and possibly make a date with Mommy, Daddy, and Rachel only. Although Rachel might not like that, because she constantly wants to know where her little brother is! But I want to make sure to give her some time alone with us, and I will enjoy being able to have some girl time like we used to.
So everything through these first two weeks is great! I am tired, and I have been catching a lot of Big Brother After Dark (Showtime Channel), but it has been so much smoother than I really expected. I had been so nervous for a while at the end of my pregnancy, wondering how things would be with this new little baby in our lives, but I feel really blessed!






















































1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cute pictures! Glad it's going well :)