Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentines Day and 10 things I like about Spring...

We celebrated Valentine's day a bit different at our house this year. Rachel doesn't really understand the concept of holidays yet, but I wanted her to have something special for Valentine's Day, so I took her to Color Your World at Easton on Saturday while Duane was having lunch with a friend. That's where we worked together to create Daddy's Valentine's Day gift. (Picture to come when Daddy has received said gift, as it takes 7 days to finish.)

Because she was so well-behaved and it was a decent day for walking, I took her to Build-a-Bear in the main part of the mall. VERY CROWDED. I let her pick a bear and we waited in the agonizingly long line so that she could stuff her bear. She really enjoyed pushing the pedals to stuff him. I let her get him a headband to wear also, but we skipped the accessories otherwise, because she tends to undress her dolls and stuffed animals no matter what they are wearing. She seemed very pleased with her bear, but as we waited in line to pay, she had a bit of a meltdown. She wasn't screaming or crying -- she just wouldn't stay next to me, so that when I pulled her back to my side, she pouted and laid on the floor. (Might I add that if you see a mom in front of you with a grumpy toddler who keeps wandering off, it is NOT polite to try to move up in line ahead of her while she herds her child back into line. That does NOT help mom's disposition.) So by the time we left Build-a-Bear, I asked Rachel if she had fun and she said no. That broke my heart to hear, as the whole goal of that store is for the child to have fun creating their own stuffed animal (otherwise I would have bought a pre-made bear in the store for one-third of the price!).

We continued our Valentine's Day festivities on Valentine's Day. As a child, my favorite treat on Valentine's Day was a heart-shaped donut from Jolly Pirate's. My mom used to buy them for us on Valentine's Day (they also make eggs for Easter, shamrocks for St. Patty's, and pumpkins for Halloween). So I have carried on the tradition, it seems, because I buy them for my family on Valentine's Day. They are delicious and filled with so much cream! The texture of the donut puts all others to shame.
When I got home that evening, I received my gift from Duane. This year, I strongly hinted to him that I wanted some jewelry. I only have a few necklaces that I will wear, so I wanted something to show off. He delivered big time! I love my new necklace. I have worn it every day this week! It is made of white sapphires and rubies. He did such a good job picking it out -- I think he should get me jewelry more often!
Tuesday night was our official Valentine's celebration. My mom watched Rachel while we went to dinner at Red Lobster. We wanted to avoid the crowds from Monday, but we still had a 20-minute wait to be seated! It was worth it though. The evening was really nice. It gave us a real chance to sit down and talk without being interrupted every few minutes, and the meal was delicious.
The weather the rest of the week has been pretty wonderful. It is in the 60s now, which is unusually warm. I am not going to lie, I like cold weather. I don't complain about snow (though I do complain about ice) or cold temperatures (unless we hit 0 degrees). I like defined seasons. Summer is too hot for me, I love autumn as it cools off (though sometimes that isn't until November!), winter is nice because I get to wear coats, and spring is lovely (except for the rain). But I prefer to ease into each season and not be jerked back and forth between warm and cold. I guess I shouldn't live in Ohio. So this warm weather pocket has been very nice and I am trying not to focus on the fact that I am destined to be jerked back into cold, then warm, then cold another few times. So I have created a list.
10 Things I Like About Spring
10. Opening up the windows in the house to let a cool breeze come through.
9. OSU Spring Game! I really want to go this year, and I think it is Easter weekend, which is jam-packed with events for us. We'll give it a whirl though!
8. Not having to bundle Rachel in a thick coat, hat, and gloves when we leave the house.
7. Being able to wear jeans and a long-sleeve shirt and not be too hot nor too cold.
6. Sitting on our deck with Duane, watching nothing, talking, sipping coffee.
5. Tax refunds! I usually like to have this done in winter, but this year it will likely be close to spring :)
4. Easter! I think Rachel will get into the egg hunting this year!
3. Going up to the lake with my parents and getting out on the boat for the first time. Sometimes this doesn't happen until May, but I have a feeling it will be sooner now that they have their lakehouse.
2. March Madness. I never used to watch much basketball -- definitely more of a football gal. But I love March Madness. I run a bracket every year for people at work and their families and it is so much fun watching everyone's choices, especially when there is a big upset!
1. Taking walks to the park with Rachel so she can play.

No comments: