Sunday, January 31, 2010

Not a lot has changed for me this month, with one major exception -- I CAN SEE!! For the first time in 17 years, I can see clearly without the aid of glasses or contacts. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can see the clock without fumbling for my glasses, inevitably knocking them on the floor and having to search for them. It's wonderful. I had LASIK at Bloomberg Eye Centers on January 7th. I can't describe to you how great this feels. People ask me how I feel, if I can see better than before. The answer: No. I see exactly the same as I did with my contacts. The difference: I don't have to put them in every morning and take them out every night. I don't get aches in my eyes when they start to go bad, and I don't have to invest $200 in contacts a year and $10 a month in solution anymore.

I am still working, still enjoying my new department, for the most part. Duane's job continues to demand a lot of his time, but we can't complain -- we have been blessed to profit in a time when a lot of people are suffering. We have the luxury of being able to go out and buy things that we need (and some things we want) when we need them.

trying to figure out what I want to change in my life. I am still trying to lose that last 10 pounds of baby weight. Try as I might, nothing seems to stick. I suppose if I ate better and worked out in combination, that would probably bring about better results, but I have trouble with the concept. I like to reward myself for exercising. :)

Aside from the physical, I know there are things I would like to change. For one thing, we are laying out plans for a major overhaul of the house. I worked up an Excel spreadsheet, room by room, of everything we would like to do to the house over the next couple of years. We aren't sure if we will stay here for the long haul or try to move before Rachel starts school. I think we would like to get closer to the Gahanna or Westerville area, if we can. But even if we were to move, the house needs some work, and we finally have the funds to support all of our lofty dreams. So the plan is to tackle one room every couple of months.

Personally, I would like to take up a hobby that will keep me happy. I don't have a lot of time to spare, so I want to do something that won't be too involved. I always thought I should try to learn to knit or crochet. That is something you can come back to at your leisure, without having to get a lot of equipment out or invest a lot of time in one stretch. I love my cake decorating too though, and I have been wanting to invest more energy into getting better at that.

Also, I have researched some camera classes online, because I have this fancy schmancy camera and I barely know how to use it. Hence, I get a lot of pictures of Rachel, but only a couple that I actually think merit the use of such an expensive camera. So I think I will enroll in the class next month.

Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed by everything I want to change. It can give me anxiety that causes a lot of pent-up frustration. But I just have to remember to take baby steps and enjoy each day. I feel very blessed right now.

Speaking of blessed, here are a few pictures of the thing I am most grateful for when I wake up in the morning...my healthy little girl! She is a character. Her latest quirk is mean-mugging Duane and me and then bursting into laughter, then turning back to a mean mug again. She has learned "Please" (which comes out "Peas"), and we had to lock the pantry to keep her from breaking into it and stealing cookies when we aren't paying attention. She got baby dolls for Christmas, and she carries them everywhere with her. I forgot to take baby with us to the sitter's one day last week, and when she wasn't there when Rachel got to the car, I heard about it.


Bring on February!

No comments: