Monday, October 6, 2008

We Have Teething...

I know what you're thinking -- normally, a baby doesn't cut teeth until 5-6 months. And quite possibly, Rachel won't actually cut any teeth until then. But she is showing those early signs that some teeth are sprouting below the surface of her gums. Lately, her fists are her best friends, and she chomps away on them constantly. She has also started making what I call her "teething face."

I feel horrible for her, because there isn't much I can do to relieve the discomfort. I give her Orajel, infant Tylenol, and teething rings, and they all seem to mask the problem temporarily. We haven't hit the worst of it, I fear, because no little teeth are visible yet.

Other than that, things are great. Duane went to Pennsylvania this weekend for a motorcycle track day, so Rachel and I had the house to ourselves for a girls' weekend. We had grandma and grandpa over on Saturday for the Ohio State game, and you should have heard this kid squealing in what could only be explained as excitement!

Then on Sunday we went to my department's picnic. It was such a beautiful day, and Rachel was in an excellent mood! Normally she does not tolerate others holding her, but she was passed around with ease and barely fussed about it. She even flashed some smiles at the Department Heads, which made mommy proud!! After a long day outside in the fresh air, we came home and Rachel passed out for a couple of hours.

I missed Rachel's 3-month birthday, but I will be sure to get lots of pictures in the coming days and weeks. Here are her latest stats:

  • Rachel is 12 lbs and 24 inches long. Her head circumference is still 15.75 inches. So that puts her in the 50th percentile for weight and circumference and the 75th percentile for height. Who would have thought we would have a tall, skinny kid?

  • Rachel is doing excellently at the sitter. She has a young friend named Ben there, who is only a few months older than she is. Every day when I drop her off, she starts to cry, which breaks my heart. But by the time I pick her up in the afternoon, she is giggly and smiling. The sitter says she keeps to a perfect schedule.

  • Rachel is still not sleeping through the night. I don't know if she gets hungry, because she doesn't eat much at each sitting. Or perhaps I have caused her to develop a bad habit, because I let her sleep with us after she wakes up. So maybe she wakes up because she senses that it is time to sleep with mommy. Either way, I am hoping she will start sleeping better soon, because I could use some solid sleep.

  • Finally, Rachel is extremely alert. She has started playing in her activity center, and she really enjoys it because it allows her to stand on her own as she plays. She loves to talk and sing to me. I love listening to her and watching her become more independent with each passing day!

Duane and I are going to the Ohio State-Purdue game this weekend for a much-needed "adult day" while Aunt Julie graciously babysits for us. I am really excited for Saturday as a whole, because we also get to see Caden (our nephew-in-the-making) on a 4D ultrasound in the morning. It should be a wonderful time!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She's starting to take on less of an infant look--your little girl is growing up! :)